Kruger Park mysterious extra charges

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #15321 by gordon
gordon created the topic: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
Hi All,

Have just got back from a couple of days in the Kruger National Park. While I normally rave about the park, I cannot do so this time. My rant is not over the park or the animals but over having to deal with the reception staff. Having pre-paid, we arrived at the Crocodile Bridge entrance to be told that there was an outstanding amount of R96. When we questioned it we were told that we had not fully paid our bill. On asking for an itemised list of the charges this R96 was suddenly dropped and no more mention was made of it at Crocodile Bridge.

We then proceeded on to Satara and the same thing happened only this time the "outstanding" amount was for R146!

We then noticed a notice on the entrance to the reception warning guests to keep their bills and receipts as proof of payment.

It is a pretty sad day for the park that the staff are so blatantly committing acts of fraud!

Considering that most of the visitors to the park were foreigners I can only imagine what it being told to their friends when they get back home.

So if you are traveling to the park be warned!!!!

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #15336 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
It sounds a bit like Zambia...

When I was there on contract the MD of the company I worked for said that every single minister who rand their local church stole money... So much so that when the then current minister took over at the church they said...
"First off we are not condoning theft so if you steal even one cent we will have you arrested BUT if you are going to steal, please don't take more than XXXXX as that is what we have budgeted for theft."

Insane!!!

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #15339 by wildtuinman
wildtuinman replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
Ridiculous.

I suggest you go lodge a complain on <!-- w --> www.sanparks.org/forums <!-- w --> if you have not done so already.

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #15344 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
Hi Wildtuinman,

Thanks for the advice. They are obviously aware of the problem if they have notices up warning people.

I just thought I would add my two cents worth for those that follow Simply Birding.

Apart from that issue, the Kruger is looking spectacular at the moment!!!

Cheers,
Gordon

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #15350 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
I am there in just under three weeks... Cannot wait!!!

• darth bangkok
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #22074 by darth bangkok
darth bangkok replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
When I was there in September, as we were leaving P'kop camp, I was told that they calculated my park fees wrong and I had to pay almost double what I had prepaid. Don't remember the exact amount, but it was pretty significant. I did get a normal looking bill though.

• waldens@faerieglen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago #22101 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park mysterious extra charges
I have just returned from Kruger as well, and luckily have not had any problems. We have a Wild card, and do all our bookings online, so the full amount is payable immediately. Apart from somebody at Lower Sabie who was allegedly unable to update my Wildcard renewal, we were'nt asked for any additional fee. I would strongly advise you to report the matter immediately.
We'll see what happens when we go again on the 14th of May.
The problem is that in a month's time the 2010 overseas visitors will start arriving, and if this problem is not stopped a lot of people are going to be defrauded. It's sad that anywhere you go these days there is somebody trying to rob you.