Is the EOS 40D any good?

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7502 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Is the EOS 40D any good?
Hi all.

Just a quick rant from a very dissapointed new Canon owner.

I finally bit the bullet and changed from Pentax due to the lack of lenses. What a monumental error in judgement. I have just bought myself an EOS 40D and a 100-400 IS USM lens.

Here are my initial assesments.

1) I cannot get any image even remotely close to as sharp as I get with my Pentax with the cheap 75-300mm lens
2) IS does not work nearly as well (unless it is due to the weight of the lens) and even at 1/1500th my images have camera shake where as the pentax I can hand hold at 1/2 a second at night with no flash and get a razor sharp image
3) Colour tone - AWB does not seem very good at all and all my iages have a very unnatural bluish colour tone to them - very unlike the nice lifeliek images I get on my pentax
4) The bokeh on the 100-400 IS lens to me look deadful and I took a picture of a dove on paving and the out of focus background looks like the bricks were moving past the dove in the background
5) Birds in flight? If the IS technology is so expensive why should I need to switch it off for birds in flight or does it only work when the camera is not movinglossy Starling at 5 meters in good light and not one of the images is even vaguely sharp.

Overall I am two or three days max away from taking it back to the shop and asking for a credit, buying a K20D and waiting for the 300 F4 pentax lens to come out.

I would love some advice on why these cameras are suposed to be so great because for over 30K outlay, these are the worst photos I have taken in my life!!!!

Or am I just stupid?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7503 by Johann
Johann replied the topic:
I use the Canon 350D together with a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L at the moment for most of my pics. Used to have a Sigma 170-500mm which was dreadful.

I felt the same in the beginning. Only got a decent photo once in a blue moon. I changed over to Aperture Priority and things improved. I then got the Canon 400mm last year and things got even better. I'm really happy with that lens. I do need something shorter as well so will be getting the 700-200mm hopefully before the end of this year. I do have some issues with the camera but it doesn't effect quality. I can say that I'm very happy with the quality of pics that my Canon setup is giving me. I'm very much still at the beginning of my photography but think I'm doing ok for now.

Having said that. It is well known that the 100-400mm has got some issues. There are some soft copies out there and there are some nice, sharp ones as well. If you are not happy with its sharpness, exchange it for another and test again until you find a sharp one. Have a look on Outdoorphoto's forum. You'll find a few threads discussing this problem.

• tchagra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7504 by tchagra
tchagra replied the topic: Is the EOS 40D any good?
Doug,

I have a 400D with the 100-400 lens and enjoy every moment with it. Wish I could convert to the 40 D - faster processor. There are however some “soft copies” of the lens out there. If you are not getting a sharp image at 1/1500 then there is a problem. The first thing that stands out for me from your mail is your reference to the awb and the colour balance. The AWB is only 1 of 2 settings you need to apply. I cannot recall the name of the other but in my 400D the settings are in a drop down menu and read like portrait, landscape, B&W, neutral etc. These settings are a recipe that tells the camera how to translate the raw image data into the JPEG that you see on the screen. Even when you save the image as RAW the picture you see when you open the image using the Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) package has these factors applied as a first brush to it . Each of these settings is a combination of 4 settings for (I think) saturation , lightness, contrast and sharpening. I traditionally work with “landscape” which makes the image a bit more blue and green and applies an amount of sharpening. Portrait for example boosts the red and has less sharpening. You need as a first step to take a few shots in RAW , open them in DPP and adjust the white balance and photo settings in the DPP package. Once you find the right recipe for you then you probably wont need to change it very often. You may find that you want a custom recipe and you can create it yourself and set the camera to it as default.

Birds in flight – have never turned mine off or even changed the mode. I think you are supposed to turn it off when on a tripod and that there is a second mode for BIF but never heard of turning it off.

Bokeh – nothing wrong with mine . I have a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and the 100-400 , can get some good results with the 70-200 but nothing that matches the 100-400 hand held. What were the camera settings (exif info) with the starling and laughing dove shots, looks very odd . What ISO are you using? I set to 400 and leave it unless I really want a slow shot.

If you want to discuss further please send me a pm with a number and I will give you a buzz and we can discuss further.

Bruce

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7505 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Hi all

After much discussion someone suggested that there might be a problem with the filter I am using. I took the filter off and there seems to be a marked improvement.

Will post some more pics soon.

Cheers,
Doug.

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7511 by Johann
Johann replied the topic:
Forgot to ask when posting before. Do you use a UV filter maybe? Definitely not needed when using digital. Well known fact that the 100-400 doesn't do well when used with a UV filter. Plenty of discussion on this subject to be found on Outdoorphoto as well.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7514 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Hi Johan.

I have taken it off but I need to find something to protect the front objective of that lens....

Still not getting the white ballance right though.

Cheers,
Doug