Canon EOS 40D vs Pentax K100D

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7472 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Canon EOS 40D vs Pentax K100D
Although not quite a "fair" test, I thought as I have just bought myself a Canon EOS 40D, I would put it through its paces against my Pentax K100D.

It all started when I went out and bought the body and was a little hesitant to spend almost R7000 on the 18-55mm IS USM lens so I bought a little 18-50 Sigma F3.5-4.6.

As I took photos my heart sank. Such an awesome new Canon camera and the pictures were uter rubbish. They were soft, had flaring and simply were worse than a cheap point and shoot. I tried my Pentax and it simply ran rings around what I had just bought.

Any way off to the shop and I described my sense of dissapointment to the very helpful guy who sold me the gear and said he would happily swop it and I could pay in the difference on a better lens. In the shop I tried the Canon IS USM 17-55 lens and then he showed me an awesome macro 17-70mm Sigma. Tried it out and it was just as good, if not better than the Canon lens and with being able to ficus at as close at 2 cm I took the sigma.

All considered I then did a simple night time test at home.

The two shots below are as follows:
Both shot on ISO 400, F6.5, 55mm. Both cameras were set on raw mode and placed on a tripod. Both cameras were also set to have all sharpening etc turned off - all settings were middled on the Pentax and on the Canon, I set the sharpening etc profile to "standard". Due to the lilghting in the room, both cameras had white ballance set to "Tungsten lamp"

Below are the two camera's photos for your comparison (both images are straight out of the respective cameras with no sharpening, no change to light levels etc - the images are simply saved as JPG from RAW and resized for the website).

Canon EOS 40D with Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 @ ISO 400 and F6.3

Pentax K100D with Pentax 18-55 F3.6-5.6 @ ISO 400 and F6.3

I then colour matched the two test images to try and better compare apples with apples.

Canon image colour matched

Pentax image colour matched

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7475 by mossie
mossie replied the topic:
The canon pics appear much richer in colour, with better contrast. I wonder how much all that has to do with the lense, and how much to do with the camera?

Mossie

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #7477 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
It could be that the Sigma lens I have is a more expensive lens than the freebie that comes with the pentax.