Which bird of prey?

• barry watkins
  • barry watkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • New member!
More
7 years 1 week ago #35526 by barry watkins
barry watkins created the topic: Which bird of prey?
Was looking out the kitchen window yesterday morning (Sun 14th Nov), just in time to see fairly large bird of prey alight in the lower branches of a bluegum about 40 metres away. Rushed to get my binoculars and managed to get a 2-second glimpse before it took off clutching a small parcel in its talons. Looking through my books I've sort of narrowed it down to either an Augur Buzzard or Black Sparrowhawk. I'm in Walkerville, Gauteng, could anyone tell me if it would more than likely be one than the other, or even something else altogether? And is this an unusual spotting for this area? The dark parts of the bird definitely looked more chocolate brown than black, if that helps. Went outside to see if I could spot it again and one of the barbets, whose nesting log is very close to where I spotted the raptor was chirring like crazy. I assumed that the victim was either one of the adult barbets or possibly a youngster. Spotted the hawk again hiding in the dense middle branches of another nearby bluegum but couldn't get a clear sighting and it took off and flew down the line of trees to the bottom of the plot. Haven't seen it again. Would welcome any comments. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 week ago #35532 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Which bird of prey?
Hi Greeny,

Welcome to the forum!

Another possibility would be a Jackal Buzzard? Augur Buzzard is unlikely in the area.

Cheers,
Gordon

• barry watkins
  • New member!
More
7 years 1 week ago #35536 by barry watkins
barry watkins replied the topic: Re: Which bird of prey?
Thanks very much.

This bird was snow white in front with just some brown flecks coming round--could that be a Jackal Buzzard?

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 days ago #35740 by mossie
mossie replied the topic: Re: Which bird of prey?
Steppe Buzzard is quite variable.

Have a look at some online photo's to see that some can be almost white on the chest.

Another give away for Steppe Buzzard, is that the Go-away birds go nuts when one is in the area.

Mossie

• barry watkins
  • New member!
More
7 years 5 days ago #35744 by barry watkins
barry watkins replied the topic: Re: Which bird of prey?
We have a Steppe Buzzard visiting regularly--for at least the last six or seven years. Even had a Honey Buzzard earlier this year for three days. This was definitely a different bird.

More
2 years 10 months ago #87132 by DaveR
DaveR replied the topic: Re: Which bird of prey?
I have several weaver nests, I'll look into encouraging more around the river side. I make a point of putting food out for all the birds I can identify and even for the rats and mice