Kruger Park & Ngwenya - 100 photos in 6 days - Pt 1 (1 - 15)

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19450 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Kruger Park & Ngwenya - 100 photos in 6 days - Pt 1 (1 - 15)
Well I'm back in south-eastern Guinea and have already added Northern White-faced Scops-Owl to my World list, alerted to the bird's presence in the top of a big tree in the garden here by the distinctly agitated behaviour of some nesting Village Weavers.

Last week though I was staying at Ngwenya Lodge and managed 4 full-day trips, a morning and an afternoon in the Kruger Park, as well as a long walk around the Ngwenya property. In line with the 100 in 2010 theme I thought I'd see if I could get "acceptable" photos of 100 species during the 6 days - an ambitious challenge. "Acceptable" is defined as in focus (or extremely close!), but not necessarily of the quality that I'd normally want to post - I just wanted to see if it was possible to achieve 100 species in 6 days. I was thwarted on the quality side by overcast conditions and even some drizzle for most of the week, so while the travelling around was not as uncomfortable as it can be this time of year, the light was not great for good photography. After all the rain of the past 2 months it really was "a jungle out there" making the seeing of the grassland birds that much more difficult too.

So was my ambitious challenge too ambitious? I will post my results in segments and keep you guessing!

Here goes then, with the first 15 - and I'm posting chronologically, the order in which I captured the images.

African Wattled Lapwing

Always nice to get such a good sighting of one of Kruger's more elusive vultures - White-headed Vulture

Off to a good start, the next 4 all seen at the Biyamiti Causeway. The kingfishers were photographed from the driver's seat out of the passenger window, and can't have been more than 3m away.

Water Dikkop

Hamerkop

female Giant Kingfisher

Malachite Kingfisher

This juvenile Southern Ground Hornbill was tearing around "being naughty" until one of the adults in the group decided to administer a slap on the wrist by nipping the youngster's neck in his not insubstantial bill

a slightly damp Yellow-fronted Canary - with company

European Roller

Magpie Shrike

This Black-bellied Bustard provided 5 minutes of entertainment doing his mating call routine

Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill

the ever-present Pied Kingfisher at Lower Sabie Weir

Barn Swallow

and at Sunset Dam. a Common Sandpiper

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19650 by JGB
JGB replied the topic: Re: Kruger Park & Ngwenya - 100 photos in 6 days - Pt 1 (1 - 15)
I love the Kingfishers - simply fabulous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.