2 RSPB reserves in England

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #11806 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: 2 RSPB reserves in England
The RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) has some great reserves around the UK. I took time out to visit two of them, Minsmere on the Suffolk coast and Dungeness on the Kent coast. They have some things in common apart from the obvious that they are both coastal and one goes there to look for waders and seabirds. They are both artificially created lagoon/wetland environments in the shadows of nuclear power stations - Sizewell at Minsmere (left background in photo below) and the power station of the same name at Dungeness.

Minsmere is home to one of the biggest Eurasian Bittern populations in Britain, as well as the bigger part of the UK's breeding Avocets. I was more than a little surprised to see 7 Little Egrets at Minsmere. This species was wiped out in the 19th century as a result of the plumage trade and only re-established in Britain as recently as 1989 (I left the UK in 1973), breeding again only in 1996. By 2002 there were at least 200 breeding pairs, many of them at Minsmere. The shingle beach at Minsmere is home also to some of the only 1900 pairs of Little Tern that breed in the UK. The RSPB is hoping to establish an environment at Dungeness that will attract Bitterns to breed here too.

RSPB Minsmere

RSPB Dungeness

Check the photography forum for some photos from the 2 reserves.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.