Kruger May09 - Advice on post processing please

• waldens@faerieglen
  • waldens@faerieglen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #11581 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen created the topic: Kruger May09 - Advice on post processing please
I would like to get some opinions as to three photos taken recently in Kruger.
1)The bateleur has IMO a very noisy/busy background that detracts from the photo what is the best way to edit/blur it to improve the photo
2)The Pied Kingfisher would look beter without the starling in the background edit it out ...yes but how?
3) The Crowned plover was standing in mud and it looks like the foot is cut off in the photo , do I crop or edit or leave?
I have no DTP expertise but have all the Photoshop tools and would like some advice as to which tools to use to edit what I feel is neccessary to improve the photos
Thanks in advance
Dennis Walden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Shedman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #11582 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Kruger May09 - Advice on post processing please
Nothing you can do about the Crowned Plover's missing foot, I don't think cropping would make a lot of difference.

The Bateleur, I would draw a rough outline around the bird, slightly larger than the bird, invert the selection, feather by about 2 or 3 pixels then use the gaussian blur tool to blur the background. You can also do it by blurring the whole thing then using the history brush on the bird but I'm not sure how to do that. Or you could create a duplicate layer, blur it then use the eraser to remove the blurred bird from the top layer, revealing the sharp focussed bird on the bottom layer.

To get rid of the Starling, use the polygonal lasso tool to draw precisely round the tail of the Kingfisher and continue to draw a selection around the starling but not too close to the bird. Feather the selection by about 1 pixel (ctrl+alt+D and type in 1) then use the clone tool to clone some blue sky over the Starling, making sure you use a soft brush.

That's a quick explanation, feel free to PM me if you need more details.

Ô¿Ô

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #11583 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Kruger May09 - Advice on post processing please
Hi Dennis,

If I do any post processing at all, in the case of the Eagle I would use the sharpen and soften brush tool. So the sharpen brush I would use over the Eagle and then use the soften brush over the background. Because the background becomes soft to the eye, it appears to move into the background whereas the Eagle moves into the foreground because of the sharpen effect.

For the Kingfisher I would use the clone brush. You click on the background colour and then brush over the areas of the image what you want "removed"...

For the White-crowned Lapwing it becomes a matter of personal taste. I might decide to crop the image just below the birds ankle and create more of a portrait shot??

Cheers,
Gordon

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #11585 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Kruger May09 - Advice on post processing please
You could even crop the lapwing as a head and shoulders portrait? That would do away with the missing foot issue and make it look like you meant to take it that way

• richlindie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #11596 by richlindie
richlindie replied the topic: Re: Kruger May09 - Advice on post processing please
I hope you don't mind me working on the image. Is this what you are looking for?

http://images.richhayl.multiply.com/image/1/photos/18/500x500/1/IMG-2058-copy-filtered.jpg?et=QT2%2CDu%2CepOxH7D%2Ctl4JbPw&nmid=251997365