Video conversion software.

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11297 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman created the topic: Video conversion software.
We have a JVC Everio hard disk camcorder which gives us some great, high quality video clips of our birds. The problem is file formats. A bit like Sony with their insistence on using their own dedicated file formats so that you have to use their software with their hardware, JVC in their infinite wisdom have decided to record these files with the extension .MOD, a format which virtually no video editing software recognises, except the software they provide with the camera. Apart from the fact that the software - Cyberlink Power Producer and Power Cinema - is a big pile of pants, it only allows you to save your edited videos to DVD, doesn't allow you to save them on your hard drive as MPEG or AVI files.

I've tried all the freebie software available on sites like ZDNet and only found one that will convert them but as the filesizes are huge to start with (we record at TV broadcast quality), when it converts them to AVI, they are even bigger and when it converts them to MPEG the quality is appalling. Anybody know of any software (the cheaper the better) that will allow me to edit .MOD files and save as a different format?

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11298 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Video conversion software.
Hi Dave,

I am not too sure if this will work but I found a couple of sites that claim you can simply rename the files to .mpg?

Just delete the .mod and use the .mpg extension.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2008 ... _video.htm

Cheers,
Gordon

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11299 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Video conversion software.
Thanks Gordon,

I followed a few links from that page and discovered the camera's software can convert, they just don't bother to tell you how to do it! Now I can edit and resize my clips small enough to post on my website for everyone to see.

Thanks again.

Ô¿Ô

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #11303 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Video conversion software.
You're welcome!