Photo Editing Software

• Rudolph
  • Rudolph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #10156 by Rudolph
Rudolph created the topic: Photo Editing Software
Hi there

I am looking at getting better photo edit software. I have the free stuff I recieved with the camera (DPP and Paint Shop).

I like to get more out of my photo's and get a more professional look.

What are you guys using?

I am considering Photoshop elements.

Cheers

Rudolph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #10157 by Jon
Jon replied the topic: Re: Photo Editing Software
i use a program called "photofillre" whick is basically a free-ware version of photoshop. you can download it from a website called <!-- w --> www.snapfiles.com <!-- w -->. i would give it a try before you consider purchasing any programs as i was actually given photoshop CS3 and i prefer using the free one!

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #10166 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Photo Editing Software
Rudolph,

Each to his own when it comes to editing software. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I took the view once I had bought my first Canon that I needed some "decent" software to process RAW images, but I am not in the business of producing professional quality images (I'd have a better camera and lens if I was), and neither did I have the time or the inclination to learn to use the full capabilities of a package like Photoshop CS2, now CS3. So layering and all those nice things are way beyond me - and will stay that way till I retire and have the time to spend learning the 90%+ of Photoshop that I don't/wouldn't use. So, I went for Photoshop Elements. I can crop, resize, adjust saturation, tone, highlights, shadows, etc., do sharpening that is essential with RAW files - but that is all, and I'm sure you can do that with lots of packages out there. All I'm saying is don't buy a Rolls-Royce if a bakkie will do the job you need done. Remember you can't turn a bad quality image into a good one no matter what the software (well I can't anyway), but you can make an average one look better.

btw - if you should go for Elements remember to get the latest version. When I went from Canon 20D to 40D I did not realise that the 40D uses a new generation RAW format and Elements 4.0 could not handle them, so I had to upgrade the software. The latest version, I think it is 6.0, will avoid potential pitfalls on image file-type - until the next generation emerges.

Neil

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #10169 by JGB
JGB replied the topic: Re: Photo Editing Software

All I'm saying is don't buy a Rolls-Royce if a bakkie will do the job you need done.

hey a bakkie will in any way get you to birding spots that a Rolls Rouce would not. :D

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #10183 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Photo Editing Software
Rudolf i use Photoshop CS3 and also Photoshop Elements 7. I agree with Neil .. go for Photoshop Elements 7. It is also more easy to use than Photoshop CS3.

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #10219 by Johann
Johann replied the topic: Re: Photo Editing Software
Lightroom also seems to have made its mark over the last few months. Lots of functionality. Quite easy to use. And about R2K the last time I checked (price might have changed in the meantime)

More
1 year 3 months ago #87299 by ocwildlife
ocwildlife replied the topic: Re: Photo Editing Software
I also use photoshop software for editing photos i think it contains good enough option to do what you want. other than this some times i use fotor.com for online quick editing purpose.