DNG and NEF thumbnails in Windows XP

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #9973 by gordon
gordon created the topic: DNG and NEF thumbnails in Windows XP
If anyone is battling to get .DNG (Adobe format RAW) and .NEF (Nikon format RAW) files to show the thumbnails, you just need to make a registry change to XP...

[url:155pbsxf]http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/nef-windows-xp-sp2.html[/url:155pbsxf]

SAVE YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!!!

Instructions to change the DNG key:
1. Click Start
2. Run...
3. Type regedit
4. find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dng\ShellEx\ (click on the + sign to open up folders)
5. you will see a key entry that looks something like {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}
6. click on this key to show the default value in the right hand window pane.
7. right click on default and select modify, a new window will open showing the existing key
8. save this existing key in a text file.
9. once you have saved your old key, replace it with {3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}
10. close the registry editor and enjoy viewing your DNG thumbnails...

Instructions for changing the NEF key:
1. follow steps 1 through 8 as for the DNG except for point 4, look for the .nef extension instead of the .dng extension...
2. replace the old key with {3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #9975 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: DNG and NEF thumbnails in Windows XP
Just get yourself a MAC... the os has built in support for the native and DNG RAW of many cameras including both Pentax and Canon RAW and I can even edit in RAW with iPhoto without having to convert to TIFF or another format either....

Discovering the finer points of my MAC has been an absolute pleasure.....

I think we are all in agreement... MAC is for those who like to get on with their work... Microsoft is for those who enjoy chinese puzzles trying to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks for the tip though. I still do some editing on my XP Pro PC so I shall make use of the info as not having thumbnails is a curse....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.