The importance of correct exposure

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #9263 by Doug
Doug created the topic: The importance of correct exposure
Hi all.

I have read much about correct exposure having a dramatic impact on noise so I did a test.
These two pics were both shot on ISO 800. The first was correctly exposed by checking the histogram view. The second was only two shutter speeds faster, thus under exposing it a little. NO other changes were made other than resize and the adjust levels of the under exposedimage to match the brightness of the first. The difference in noise is dramatic!!!

Iso 800, correctly exposed and cropped

Iso 800, incorrectly exposed, levels adjusted and cropped

Some people have even said as long as you do not clip your highlights, if you can even over expose alittle and then drop levels in DPP you will have even less noise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tchagra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #9268 by tchagra
tchagra replied the topic: Re: The importance of correct exposure
Doug,

I was aware of all the comments about exposure but have never done a test myself in this regard. With my humble 400D I dont go over 400ASA due to noise but perhaps a few tests are in order.

Bruce

• Rudolph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 weeks ago #9333 by Rudolph
Rudolph replied the topic: Re: The importance of correct exposure
Hi Doug

Thanx for all the imformative tips and comments. As my wife and I are only beginners we are surely learnig a lot.

We experienced the same effect during our trip to St Lucia. With the cludy conditions and birds inside forests we really strugled to get any decent shutter speeds. He had to step up to ISO800 to get over 1/100 sec speeds for handheld and small moving critters (Green Twinspots). The result is very noisy photos that can't do a lot with. Our record was a recognisable pic of a Twinspot at 1/6 sec.

I guess the only option is to go with some sort of flash. But I agree the info from the Histogram would give a good indication of effective exposure.

Cheers
Rudolph

More
2 years 10 months ago #87143 by mikefreiberg
mikefreiberg replied the topic: Re: The importance of correct exposure
We experienced the same effect during our trip to St Lucia. With the cludy conditions and birds inside forests we really strugled to get any decent shutter speeds. He had to step up to ISO800 to get over 1/100 sec speeds for handheld and small moving critters (Green Twinspots). The result is very noisy photos that can't do a lot with. Our record was a recognisable pic of a Twinspot at 1/6 sec.