Sketch Technique

• Birdlover
  • Birdlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 weeks ago #9207 by Birdlover
Birdlover created the topic: Sketch Technique
This is something i picked up on the net. I tried it and with some practice you could get some nice results.

It is a simple technique that works in Photoshop and Elements versions that have a history brush. Commands for Mac For control read Command for Windows
Duplicate image (control J) Desaturate (shift command U) Duplicate layer again (Control J) Invert (Control I) Go to Layers and chose mode "Colour Dodge" (the image appears white) select filter "other - Minimum at a setting of 2 - 3 pixels and you get a line drawing. Flatten the image (Shift Control E) and select the history brush set at normal mose and 60 - 70% and paint over the area you wish to be coloured. The eraser tool with a large brush and soft edges to tidy up round the edges to give the sketch look, varying in size so a small brush near edges of the image that matters - Go and experiment as it works very well with buildings.

Some more tips on the sketch technique.

There are two filters you can try - the Minimum in "other" or for a softer result you can try Gaussian blur.

What i usually do is to flatten image or merge visible so you are back to one layer.

Using curves or easier with Levels make the draxing blacker and if you move the highlight end slider up you can lose some background.

If you now go to the history brush and set at about 50% you will see that it says "normal" the brush has the same set of modes as a layer and setting the brush to colour burn, or overlay etc gives different effects and using a lower setting on the bush you can build these up to give a more painted effect.

If you then use a soft brush setting for the eraser again set to 50-70% you can lose the background.

:) Ok i know that the horizon is skew ... this is just another practise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Birdlover
  • Birdlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 weeks ago #9229 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Sketch Technique
Please try this and post your picture.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.