Which crop is better.

• Birdlover
  • Birdlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #9160 by Birdlover
Birdlover created the topic: Which crop is better.
I used the same photo and cropped it different. Which one do you prefer . ( Is more pleasing to the eye. )

I would appreciated it if you could tell me why you like your choice of crop.

# 1

# 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #9164 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Which crop is better.
Hi Philip,

I prefer the bottom one because the bird is looking into empty space, however I would add about 1cm of extra space to the right of the bird. I feel the crop is just a touch too close to the bird on that side.

Cheers,
Gordon

• tchagra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #9176 by tchagra
tchagra replied the topic: Re: Which crop is better.
Phillip,

As a general principle the 2:3 or 3:2 ratio or similar is proven to be more pleasing to the human eye than the square format and this is why it is more frequently used. Having said that there are images that were presented at our last camera club meeting that fit a more square format well.

Secondly the "Rule of thirds" - devide the image into 9 equal sized parts by drawing 2 vertical and 2 horizontal lines accross the image to devide the image into thirds in each plane. The human eye is naturally drawn to the points at which these lines intersect as focal points and as a general principle one should arrange the key components on an image along the lines of thirds or fifths. ( Leonardo Da Vinci was one of the early proponents of this .)

Thus for example a successful image of your girlfriend sitting on a beachy could have the foeground third as sand , the middlle ground third as sea and the background third as sky with your lady friend placed one third in fromthe left hand edge on the focal point as described.
You should find loads of info on this "rule of thirds"on the web.

Bottom line the second image is far more pleasing than the first.

Regards

Bruce

• Birdlover
  • Birdlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 weeks ago #9192 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Which crop is better.
Thank you for your feedback Gordon and Bruce. I agrre that the second one is more pleasing to the eye.

I see Photoshop has a grid option that you can use for the rule of thirds.