Lowering noise!

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #9143 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Lowering noise!
Hi all.

I would love some comments on lowering noise and I am not talking about after the fact noise reduction.

I have signed up as a photographer with an agency for photographers and am starting to submit "professional" images.

As I take photos, many are shot at ISO 400. My problem is when I look at them in full size (origional pixels) in Photoshop, they all tend to look a little noisy or is this just my over sensitivity? Any advice on keeping noise to a minimum for professional photographers? Obviously I do not want to use in camera noise reduction and I want the images to be as close to completely RAW as possible.

Any comments welcome.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #9156 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
Doug i am no expert , but i have found if i keep to 100 ISO .. my photos have no noise , or very little. I know that you need a higher shutter speed some times but if you use a monopod or tripod you can use a lower ISO.

• tchagra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #9175 by tchagra
tchagra replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
Doug,

My understanding is that noise is the result of signal amplificationand thus where you start off with a tiny difference in value between adjoining pixels the more you amplify the more noise you get. As such the lower the ISO setting the lower the amplification of the original image as captured and thus the lower the noise.

The second issue although related is that noise is most noticable in dark areas of the image and "brightening" those areas is tantamount to amplification of the noise. It would thus appear to be safer to "overexpose" the darker areas slightly and subsequently darken the image than doing the reverse from a noise perspective. One often sees comments that one can go to higher ISO ratings provided there are no "dark" areas of the image to "highlight" the noise issue.

Regards,

Bruce

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 weeks ago #9222 by Johann
Johann replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
I think Bruce summed it up quite nicely. The noise tend to show up in the darker areas, so try to avoid getting any on your pics.
Just wanted to add one other thing. Some cameras' "sweet spot" with regards to noise might be ISO200 or even ISO150. You'll have to play around and maybe do some test shots to find your camera's.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 weeks ago #9234 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
This is what I am getting with absolutely no DPP - stright out of camera just cropped to this size. No resize, no sharpening, no light levels nothing. As is stright from the camera on ISO 400. The noise on the forehead above the bridge of the nose is so bad it looks like xzema...

• mattks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #9253 by mattks
mattks replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
Hey Doug,

Do you have the in camera ISO noise reduction set to the weakest setting? I am finding on my K20D that the weakest setting is fine for getting rid of the graininess.

Regards
Matt

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #9254 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
Hi Mathew.

I have learned it is all about getting your exposure right. Under expose and your noise sky rockets even at low ISO. These were all shot at ISO 800 with all noise reduction in the camera turned of. I aways prefer noise reduction after the fact. Once it has been applied in camera you cannot undo it and NR always softens your images.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.simplybirding.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...c.php?f=7&t=2984 [/url]<!-- l -->

Cheers.
Doug

• mattks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #9266 by mattks
mattks replied the topic: Re: Lowering noise!
Ahhhhh, I might have just learnt something then Doug. I have the K20D set to the weakest setting, will turn it of and try some more.