Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 days ago #13553 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles
Taken over several trips into the field. Haven't IDd them all yet - very first one is a Blue Diadem. My butterfly reference books are back in SA and trying to do it on the web is rather time-consuming. So just enjoy their beauty, the names are not too important just now. The final image is of what i think might be a longhorn beetle - but anyone knows for sure please let me know.

Update: With a bit of effort on the web I've come up possible IDs for some of them (Black if I'm reasonably confident, red if I am still not sure)

Blue Diadem [Hypolimnas salmacis]

(Dark) Blue Pansy [Junonia oenone ssp]

Monk [Amauris tartarea ssp]

Dark (Brown) Pansy [Junonia stygia]

Charaxes sp (possibly Two-tailed Pasha [Charaxes jasius ssp])

African Blue Tiger [Tirumala petiverana]

African Monarch [Danaus chrysippus ssp]

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Shedman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 days ago #13554 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles
Great photos Neil. I know little about butterflies (JGB's your man for all things lepidopterous!) but I think number 3 looks like the Blue Pansy that we see in WSBG and number 5 looks similar to the Garden Commodore we also see there. I'm probably hopelessly and embarrasingly wrong, but that's my two cents worth.

Ô¿Ô

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 days ago #13556 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles
Dave,

Unlike some animal species certain butterflies have amazingly wide areas of distribution. For instance, the Painted Lady that you and I know from the UK is found in South Africa. You may well be correct on your IDs, as I suspect at least half of these will be found in a field guide on South African butterflies.

Neil

• waldens@faerieglen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 days ago #13564 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen replied the topic: Re: Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles
Your butterfly photo's are absolutely beautiful. What I want to know is how do you get them to sit still? I know some moths love beer, and are attracted to it, but what is your dark secret, Neil?

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 days ago #13565 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles
Quite simply, I found an area of damp soil where literally hundreds of butterflies were congregating. After the initial disturbance of me finding a suitable rock to sit on and sitting still, they all came back!

Neil

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #13614 by JGB
JGB replied the topic: Re: Guinea - lots of butterlies and a couple of beetles
Neil,

Some great pics there, I need to get hold of a guide book before I can comment on ID's.

If you want help with buttefly ID's you can post to the new Lepssoc website at [url:1evjsnyq]http://www.lepsoc.org.za/[/url:1evjsnyq]

Cheers,
Justin