Mirages in the Kalahari - Reflections of what?

• waldens@faerieglen
  • waldens@faerieglen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12370 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen created the topic: Mirages in the Kalahari - Reflections of what?
If you have been to Kiliekrankie in the KTP then you will know the magical setting of this camp perched on top of a red dune with 360 views. In the hut on the wall is a photos titled "Fata Morgana" and explanatory text from Wiki on the mirage phenomena. We were luck to experience this one morning when we were there. What fascinates me is the"content" of these mirages. We all understand the temperature inversion that produces them. Is it in the eye of the beholder ? Is it from x kilometres behind the horizon ? Is it optical aberrations that the human brain recognises as buildings? The first photo is kililiekrankie camp. The second photo a mirage that looks like a reflection of the camp itself. The third photo is a mirage with reflections that look very much like the grass on the dunes being reflected back. The laws of optics should make it easy to work out where and what the content is. Any thoughts ?
This topic fascinates me! All photos were taken at 7 AM

Kililiekrankie Camp KTP

Mirage No1

Mirage No 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Shedman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12390 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Mirages in the Kalahari - Reflections of what?
My own personal opinion - and it is just an opinion - is that the resemblance to any structures or geographical features is purely coincidental. If you ask a whole bunch of people to look at a cloud formation and tell you what they see, they'll probably all give different answers and I think the same is true here. If I had seen pic 2 without having seen the pic of the camp, I would have said it was just random shapes that could maybe look like buildings if you wanted them to. Great photos though!

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.