Garden bird needing ID please

• Mossie911
  • Mossie911's Avatar Topic Author
  • New member!
More
4 years 1 month ago #86268 by Mossie911
Mossie911 created the topic: Garden bird needing ID please
Hi Everyone,

I don't do much in the way of birding of late and I'm not experienced at all, but I do keep an eye on the birds in my garden and this one puzzled me a bit as I've never seen anything quite like it. I can see it's either a juvenile and/or a bird in transition, but none of the other garden birds ever looked like this. It's the same size as a southern masked weaver and has bits of yellow in the tail feathers as well as in the strange white of the wing feathers and I've also noticed some other yellowish spots on the body. When feeding it tends to chase away the weavers but on the other hand is chased away by the cape sparrows. At first I thought it was a southern masked weaver, but unlike them, it stays on the ground feeding on bread crumbs whereas the masked weavers come down from the tree, grab a piece of bread, then usually fly back into the tree to feed.
I don't have a great camera, but I managed to get a few fairly decent shots.

I'll appreciate your comments greatly.

Kind regards,
Mariana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peregrinedive
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #86270 by Peregrinedive
Peregrinedive replied the topic: Re: Garden bird needing ID please
It looks like a juvenile bird to me. I think it is possibly a young White-winged Widowbird.

• Mossie911
  • Mossie911's Avatar Topic Author
  • New member!
More
4 years 1 month ago #86275 by Mossie911
Mossie911 replied the topic: Re: Garden bird needing ID please
Hi Kingfisher,

Thank you, it could be as I do get White-Winged Widowbirds in my garden occasionally.

Regards,
M