Non-breeding male Red Billed Quelea

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12582 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman created the topic: Non-breeding male Red Billed Quelea
I was quite pleased with myself for spotting this little guy amongst all the LBJ's in our tree this morning. He stood out because he was smaller than the rest. I then noticed that he seemed to have a red bill, which was confirmed when he landed on the lawn to eat some bread crumbs. At first we suspected Pin Tailed Whydah but then noticed that he didn't have a striped crown. The clincher, which you can't really see in these photos because of the poor light, was that he has a very faint red ring around his eye. We've only seen Red Billed Quelea once before, a solitary breeding male that I photographed down in the vlei and who later came and sat in our tree, but this is the first time we've seen one down on our lawn eating with the other birds. I just hope he doesn't bring any friends with him, I've read about how big the flocks can be and I don't think we can afford that much seed!

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12591 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Non-breeding male Red Billed Quelea
Good ID and shots Dave.

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12593 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Non-breeding male Red Billed Quelea
Thanks Philip. The photos aren't great because it was still too early for the sun to have reached the lawn. Even with the ISO set to 400 I still got low shutter speeds, but at least I got a couple of clear enough ones to confirm the ID. Sadly, it didn't stay long as our local Cape Robin Chat decided to come along and chase away all the birds from the tree a couple of minutes later!

Ô¿Ô