Some juvenile Bronze Mannikins

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10594 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman created the topic: Some juvenile Bronze Mannikins
This morning we saw a group of about ten Tawny Flanked Prinias on the fence that separates our complex from the vlei, which then flew into the tree in our neighbours' garden. As I only have a couple of really good shots of these birds, and because I thought there might also have been Black Chested Prinias there, I grabbed the camera and went and stood by the garden wall. Now I did get a few excellent Tawny Flanked Prinia shots, which I'll post in the bird photographs forum, but before I did, two small birds flew from the neighbours' tree to our tree. I switched my lens to macro as they were only about a metre or so above me, and fired off a few shots. I didn't recognise them so I was hoping they might be lifers. Then I spotted more of them on the ground outside so I kept snapping away. There were six in total and their behaviour reminded me very much of the Bronze Mannikins we had seen in Swaziland last year. Resizing, cropping and brightening the shots revealed that they are indeed juvenile Bronze Mannikins. I wasn't entirely certain until I looked at the group photograph and noticed one of them has the beginnings of the white colouring on the lower mandible. I thought I had seen a couple of adults in the vlei a few weeks ago but didn't get a close enough look to confirm it.

We're really pleased to be able to add these to our garden list because we had previously only seen them on our trip to Swaziland. Here are some of my pics, starting with the macro shots.

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10596 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic: Re: Some juvenile Bronze Mannikins
Dave,

When I go to Zambia there is a large flock of Bronze Mannikin resident in or close to the garden of the guest house where I stay. The juveniles can make a racket totally disproportionate to their size!

Neil

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #10600 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Some juvenile Bronze Mannikins
Yes, it's funny how we imagine their calls to be proprtionate to their size. I remember the first time I heard the Black Chested Prinias, I couldn't believe such small birds could make such a noise! At the same time, I was surprised at how 'thin' and 'weak' the call of the Pied Kingfisher was, in relation to the size of the bird.

Ô¿Ô