Any one need Melodious Lark in Joburg?

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #63120 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Any one need Melodious Lark in Joburg?
I am doing some recordings tomorrow early. Anyone want to join me?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-25.961448,27.956011
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rusty Justy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #63262 by Rusty Justy
Rusty Justy replied the topic: Re: Any one need Melodious Lark in Joburg?
Hi Doug,

I still need what has become my Bogey bird - the last lark I need besides Flappet up here in the Northern areas - :D
Could you perhaps give me better directions to this spot or area? Is it in the Birding Gauteng book?

Regards,
Justin Nicolau

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #63263 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Any one need Melodious Lark in Joburg?
More or less.

Where about are you? The best spot is a little tricky. There are enough hours of light after work right now. I can meet you in four ways and we can dash through to get it?

Otherwise... As you get to the entrance of Northern Farms (with northern farms on your left), about 50 m past the entrance to Northern Farms is a road also going to the left.

Take that road. You will pass a small pan on your left and a farm entrance on your right.

You will come to a four way intersection with a renosterspruit sign just to your left. Go straight over this 4 way intersection and through a little stream. (It's fine to drive through even in my Tazz).

JUST as you go through this stream there is a very informal looking track on your right just after the reeds. Turn up here. As you veto towards a fence that start on you right, there is a sharp bend of a VERY small road to your left. It actually goes 45 degrees back the way you came. At this junction... the larks are displaying everywhere.

They were even more abundant if you turn down this track. I drove all the way through that track in my tazz but it is a bit bumpy.

You cannot see the birds in the grass. They drop down so you have to listen to my recording or the one on Sasol eBirds is spot on for what they sound like. Once calling look up. They will be doing large circles displaying overhead.

• Rusty Justy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #63288 by Rusty Justy
Rusty Justy replied the topic: Re: Any one need Melodious Lark in Joburg?
Hi Doug - apologies for the late response, I was actually in fourways all day but buying a lens and going for lunch with family :D I think I will head out there tomorrow and give it a bash - did you manage any decent photographs of them perched anywhere?

Thanks again for the directions - hope you don't mind giving me a call if I have any hassles with directions tomorrow?

Cheers,
Justin Nicolau

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #63290 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Any one need Melodious Lark in Joburg?
You can call and no, they display or drop into the grass.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.037004,28.012010
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk