Good bird feeder

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #12244 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Good bird feeder
Hi all.

I would like to get a good variety of garden birds into our small little garden and was wondering where one can get a good bird feeder? I would like one that caters for seed and maybe something for fruit etc, possibly even in one system? I have seen fairly fancy bird feeder tables etc. Where can one get quality feeders?

Particularly in the JHB northern suburbs area....

Cheers,
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Shedman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #12368 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman replied the topic: Re: Good bird feeder
Not easy in this area, Doug, we had problems finding good quality feeders anywhere around here (West Rand). Two places you might look are Catbox Pet Hyper at Fontainbleau (not sure where you are in relation to that, it's Randburg sort of area) and West Rand Bird and Pet Farm just of Ontdekkers Road (towards the Krugersdorp end of Ontdekkers). I'll find addresses for you later as I have to go out now. There's also a website where you can get made-to-order wooden feeders and I'll get a link to that for you too when I get back.

Ô¿Ô

OK, back home now.

Try this site: http://www.birdfeeders.co.za/ for good quality wooden feeders. Their prices seem very reasonable.

West Rand Pet & Bird Farm I'm not so keen on because they sell caged birds, which I'm dead against, but I know they do sell wild bird feeders too. http://www.westrand.co.za/

Catbox Pet Hyper is a strange one because we once went there on a weekend to buy bird food and they were closed, so we go during the week now. Don't know why they don't open at weekends but maybe phone them, perhaps they do now. They do very good prices on seed - we buy 25kg of mixed bird seed for R127, though that's the low-grade one with maize in it (thank goodness for dove meshes!). I think their higher quality one was something like R205 for 25kg last time we bought it, which is still pretty good. They stock a variety of feeders too.

Fontainebleau Shop
Cnr Cathrine & Maria Streets
Fontainebleau
Randburg
Tel:011 793 4263

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.