Green wood Hoepoe relocation

• mossie
  • mossie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 months ago #22754 by mossie
mossie created the topic: Green wood Hoepoe relocation
Does anybody have any idea's on how to relocate a family group of 10+ green wood hoepoe's from my sister-in-laws roof. She complains that they are getting very noisy at night, and the build up of guano is getting a bit smelly in the roof.

She is also a birder, so does not what to engage the "RED ANT" scorched earth methodology.

I was thinking of setting up an apartment block of nesting logs in the tree-space landscape of midrand.

Mossie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tachiro
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 months ago #22796 by tachiro
tachiro replied the topic: Re: Green wood Hoepoe relocation
Hi Mossie,
Try attaching a nesting log (big enough for them all and with two entrance holes) to the entrance hole of their current home, and thereby cause them to have to come and go via this new home.
You may need to use pieces of hose to assist in attaching the nesting log in this way.
Make the final connection at night so that all the wood hoepoes are in the nest.
A good quality wooden nesting log is best.
Eventually the old home can be sealed off and they will be living in the new home.
This method is used with bees and bats and I think it can work with birds too.
Before sealing the old home be sure there are no flightless, dependant young birds left in the nest (listen, look with mirror and torch, etc.) and be sure no birds are moving between the two homes; wedge a thin stick across the old entrance hole and check that it is still in place after a minimum of 24 hours.
It may be possible to move them at night while they are in the new home (sealed) to a new location.
Relocate them as close as possible and with a similar orientation to the original home. Ideally leave the new home attached near the place where the original home was made (depending on exposure).
Good luck.
Best regards,
Michael

• mossie
  • mossie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 months ago #23207 by mossie
mossie replied the topic: Re: Green wood Hoepoe relocation
That's a pretty cool suggestion. I will pass it on. One thing, is that they will need a mega nesting log to accommodate what I think is the biggest family of GWH's I've ever seen.

Mossie