Roberts

• ampie
  • ampie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19807 by ampie
ampie created the topic: Roberts
Last weekend I saw somebody with a handheld device with Roberts Multimedia on it. It operates with a little pin on a touch screen. Is it an I-pod or what ? Can anyone please advise me on price and where to find it, and model specs. I have Roberts on my laptop, but it is a bit impractical while driving around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Birdlover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19817 by Birdlover
Birdlover replied the topic: Re: Roberts
Hi Ampie

That would be a PDA , Have a look at this link for info and prices.

http://www.sabirding.co.za/

• ampie
  • ampie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19836 by ampie
ampie replied the topic: Re: Roberts
Thanks, now I am a little less technologically disadvanced.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19838 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Roberts
HI there.

The two main options are:
1) Roberts Multimedia Birds - has more calls than Sasol ebirds at present
It runs on a Windows Mobile smart phone platform and must be touch screen phone as far as I know.

2) Sasol eBirds.
Runs on apple iPhone but if it is not already should be due out for Windows Smart Phone, Blackberry and Symbian phones.
Has fewer calls than Roberts Multimedia at this stage but is an amazing application receiving rave reviews on SA Birdnet. There is an update due out in a few months that should have at least another 70 or so bird calls added.

I am using Sasol eBirds on my iPhone and it is insanely brilliant.

Either way you will need either an iPhone, a Windows mobile Smartphone with touch screen capabilities or a windows mobile PDA (but PDAs are falling away as smart phones do that anyway).

• steveclark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago #19850 by steveclark
steveclark replied the topic: Re: Roberts
G'day all

I have SASOL eBirds on my iPod Touch and it will be [u:3bmohq3m]extremely[/u:3bmohq3m] useful when I come to Tanzania for a year from July. However...it is a substantially a translation from the (excellent) book with the addition of calls (thanks largely to Doug I gather) and a search function.

I also have iBird Plus - the birds of North America on my iPod. This was designed from the beginning (not allied to any of the existing print field guides) to use the features of the iPod and indicates, I believe, the future of field guides. It is flawed as all guides are but uses the technology brilliantly with calls, photos, paintings, links to BirdPedia and Flickr and regular, free, updates adding new photos etc. (My brother-in-law doesn't run the business!)

I'm not criticizing the SASOL effort but think it is only a start and recommend all the folks associated with field guides look at what the iBird people have achieved from a standing start and think about what is possible.

We are fortunate in Australia to have 4 excellent traditional field guides but so far we have no hand-held electronic versions. So, congrats to SASOL and I look forward to future improvements.

Any Simply Birding members passing through Bukoba, Tanzania after August 2010 make sure you pop in to visit Jenny and I.

Cheers
Steve