Binocular harness

• Francois
  • Francois's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27631 by Francois
Francois created the topic: Binocular harness
I'm thinking of getting a binocular harness for my Bushnell 10x42 H2O.

I am currently looking at 2 Bushnell models the first is the entry level (left) and the other the deluxe (right)

Is there any other members using a binocular harness and what is your experience there off and what should I look at. There is obviously a marked difference in the price of the two listed above.

As for the deluxe I am worried that the padding at the back might get uncomfortable on a hot summers day, but then again I'm not sure if the entry level will support the binoculars enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27635 by Stefan
Stefan replied the topic: Re: Binocular harness
Francois,

I have been using a harness for years now and I will never go back to using a normal neck strap. The design I have looks pretty much like the cheaper Bushnell product, except that the centre piece that is worn over your back is made of leather rather than plastic. The very large back cover of the more expensive product will surely have me sweating more profusely! Other things to check out is the ability of the harness to be adjusted. These harnesses have the benefit that it keeps the binoculars closer to your body when you are clambering over rocks or ducking underneath fallen branches when compared with the normal neck straps. However they should not be so tight that you will need weeks in the gym before going on a birding trip. Lastly, you also need to check out the clasps that will hold your binoculars. How easily may an acidental bump detach the binoculars or break the clasp?

Stefan

• waldens@faerieglen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27645 by waldens@faerieglen
waldens@faerieglen replied the topic: Re: Binocular harness
I use the entry level harness, and although it's comfortable, I do sometimes find that the back bit rides up to the base of my neck, which is irritating. I would go for the more expensive option, it doesn't ride up.

• Jeff Curnick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27663 by Jeff Curnick
Jeff Curnick replied the topic: Re: Binocular harness
Hi Francois,

Definitely go for the harness, been using one for a few years now, won't go back to an ordinary strap!
Got mine from SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.co.za/products/gear.htm#gear

Cheers,

Jeff

• peter sharland
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27679 by peter sharland
peter sharland replied the topic: Re: Binocular harness
Hi Francois

Using a harness is a bit like getting a dishwasher...... :D

I use one with only a small connecting piece on the back, and have found that it is perfectly OK provided I get the strap lengths correct.

Regards
Peter

• Francois
  • Francois's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27746 by Francois
Francois replied the topic: Re: Binocular harness

Jeff Curnick wrote: Got mine from SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.co.za/products/gear.htm#gear

Ordered mine 5 minutes ago. Based on comments here and some other forums I posted the request it seems as if the entry level Bushnell harness is not that great and many people experience problems with it.

The one on the SA Birding site is close in price (if postage incl) to the Bushnell Deluxe but the part on the back is much smaller.

Now to wait 2-5 working days before I can try it out :D