Invaders!

• zophas
  • zophas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #11143 by zophas
zophas created the topic: Invaders!
Is anything being done in SA to limit the spread of the Indian Myna bird? As I understand it this bird is an invader to our shores and is affecting our SA bird life. I've noticed that many invader plant species are now illegal to plant, grow, or sell. Why is nothing being done about invader birds?
Weird how in many parts of the world different birds are a pest. Mostly sparrows, starlings and the Indian Myna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #11180 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Invaders!
I think the general consensus is that there is no longer much one can do about this species. You cannot shoot them as discharging any firearm in a built up area is illegal not too mention dangerous. It is extremely risky to put poison out as you put other birds at risk. I am also not sure of the legal implications if you do kill them?
For example it is/was illegal to kill indigenous birds without special permits. Mostly those are given for hunting pigeons on farms.

When I visited Australia I was quite amazed when walking out of the airport only to find the very first bird I got to see over there was... you guessed it, an Indian/Common Myna!

Cheers,
Gordon

More
3 years 1 month ago #86970 by billbrooks
billbrooks replied the topic: Re: Invaders!
It's quite late to add to this conversation, but I have always found the indian myna to be interesting. They have adapted to recognize the vehicles of exterminators, and also talk. They are extremely interesting birds, in fact they come a close third after the Japanese crows, and the African drongo's. Sorry to say this, but I love them! no one else does besides me.