Forest Birding

• David Swanepoel
  • David Swanepoel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5748 by David Swanepoel
David Swanepoel created the topic: Forest Birding
I have friends that always argue about the best technique to bird in a forest. While he likes to cover as much ground as possible, and thereby increase the chance of bumping into as many birds s possible along the way, she argues that when you sit quietly in the same spot for an hour or two, you don't disturb the birds, so birds will become more active in this quiet spot and you will see more birds that way. What seems to work for me, is to cover a lot of ground while keeping an ear open for foraging groups. What do other birders find work for them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5749 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
I also like moving around and listening for birds, particularly those that are known to be catalysts for bird parties and then home in onthe bird parties themselves and get as many species as quickly as possible in a short time and then move on.

I will also say that there is alot to be said for sitting quietly for a few hours. We did this at the waterhole at Barokalalo and the birds we saw were increadible. The time we tried that we got 130+ species in the middle of winter!

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5753 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
I adopt a compromise.

I stop every few hundred metres for up to 5 minutes to allow things to "settle down" again. I find being stationery gives me more of a sense of where a call emanates from, and certainly gives me more chance of seeing those tell-tale small movements that I might miss while I'm watching where I put my feet.

Also, in particularly arduous terrain, it gives the old legs and heart a rest!!!!!

Neil

• Johann
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 months ago #5757 by Johann
Johann replied the topic:
I adopt more or less the same strategy as Neil I suppose. Get a proper walk going but stopping every now and again for a few minutes and just listen. Sort of working out so far.