How to package an image - Red eyed Dove

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #4827 by gordon
gordon created the topic: How to package an image - Red eyed Dove
Hi All,

The following are the basic steps I would take to get to a final image.
The image was taken using a Pentax K10D and Pentax 300mm 75-300mm Zoom lens. One of the problems with this lens is that it is not known for the sharpness of the image.

For this shot I used Aperture Priority of F5.8 (at the distance I was not worried about depth of field) and forced the ISO to 100. In the prevailing light conditions this enabled a shutter speed of 1/500s. The lens was set zoomed all the way in to the full 300mm. The original file is a 17MB RAW image (DNG using sRGB colourspace), this was compressed to a 2.2MB JPEG file. This is the file I used to edit... The initial photo: (not the original file size!)

Next is to sharpen the image without making it too grainy or unnatural. (remember the lens is a soft lens so you will find it difficult to get amazing feather detail, also remember that the image you see here has been drastically compressed to get down to a useable file size, this is what makes it appear very grainy). Next I crop the image to remove any part of the image I do not want:

Having obtained the ideal (subjective of course) composition, I now run the image sharpening again and play with saturation, contrast and brightness levels. I then resize the image to the dimensions I want (again the original image is quite a bit larger than this, which is compressed to save download times), run a final sharpen:

The final touches are to add the borders and signature and export the final product in JPEG format, this final export will get the file size down to a size that most people will be able to download!

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peter sharland
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #5482 by peter sharland
peter sharland replied the topic:
Hi Doug

If I may ask, what processing package are you using?

Regards

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 months ago #5492 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Peter,

For this I was using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI (before the trail ran out...)

You can download and try it out for free directly from Corel:
[url=http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-1-10485362:vlc2b4bb]Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI[/url:vlc2b4bb]

Cheers,
Gordon