Nylsvlei busy flooding!!

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #707 by gordon
gordon created the topic: Nylsvlei busy flooding!!
Good News!

Nylsvlei is in the process of flooding at the moment, which means birds and in particular water birds should start arriving in LARGE numbers to breed!

Perhaps we will soon start getting sightings of rare crakes or a bittern or two?

:-) :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #722 by
replied the topic:
Hi Gordon

We are going there next weekend as a detour on our way from PE to Kruger.

What is the best route to take once we have passed Pretoria ?

Also, is the campsite still operational and if not, are there other camping options in the area ?

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #723 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi,

You will need to travel on the N1 until either Bela-Bela (Warmbaths) or Mookgopong (Nylstroom) then come off the N1 and get onto the R101 which runs parallel to the N1 on the left side of the N1, heading up towards Mokopane (Naaboomspruit). About 15 - 20km outside of Mookgopong will see a turning to the right to the Nylsvlei Nature Reserve (Boekenhout Station), take this turning. This road will take you over the N1 and will cross the main railway line running north. To get to the Reserve carry on straight and after 1 or 2 km's after the line you will see the entrance to the reserve on your left. There are dormitories that you can book which are quite simple but clean (take own bedding, etc). The camping grounds are also very basic, with flush toilets and cold showers, these are clean but quite dark so make sure you have lights with you!

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Can ... isinfo.htm (Friends of Nylsvley site with accomodation contact details, I am not sure how up to date this is??)

http://www.routes.co.za/lp/map.html (about the best map I could find with the new names)

I strongly advise getting a new street map showing all the new towns and roads!

There is also accomodation at Warwick Tarboton's home near to the reserve, perhaps someone can post contact details?

If you do stay at the reserve, take note that they close the gates at 6pm sharp!

Enjoy!
Gordon

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #739 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Gordon,

How soon before the rallids and waders start moving in? Is it a matter of days or weeks?

I've never been to Nysvlei and have been putting it off this year because of the dry situation. I'm keen to go as soon as the rain has abated if the birds will be there. I have a 4x4 and can go any day - but just for the day - and have space for anyone wanting to join me from East Rand, Joburg or Pretoria, preferably someone who knows the hotspots at Nylsvlei.

Neil Gray

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #740 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Hi there.

I don't know about those spceis, but I will say that in the space of 5 hours from dry to wet, the area had been discovered by Wood Sandpiper, Black-crowned Night Heron, Yellow-billed Duck, African Jacana...

They seem to learn quickly. I would say either this weekend or the next would be good.

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #741 by nkgray
Thanks, Doug.

Lets hope we get a break in this rain by Sunday.

Regards,

Neil

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #742 by gordon

nkgray wrote: Gordon,

How soon before the rallids and waders start moving in? Is it a matter of days or weeks?

I've never been to Nysvlei and have been putting it off this year because of the dry situation. I'm keen to go as soon as the rain has abated if the birds will be there. I have a 4x4 and can go any day - but just for the day - and have space for anyone wanting to join me from East Rand, Joburg or Pretoria, preferably someone who knows the hotspots at Nylsvlei.

Neil Gray

Hi Neil,

I am not sure how birds know but they started arriving at the reserve within hours of it starting to fill up! As for rallids, I just don't know. I imagine that the birding will pick up considerably from now on?

What day are you planning to go up?

Cheers
Gordon

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #743 by nkgray
Gordon,

I'm looking at this coming Sunday (weather permitting) or Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

Unfortunately I will have to do some work on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Neil

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #761 by gordon
Hi Neil,

Did you get a chance to go up?

I will am going to wait until next month, then go up for a day, or maybe stay the night at Nylsvlei.

I believe it is still filling up rather nicely!

Cheers
Gordon