RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #86724 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire
Frampton Marsh on the Lincolnshire side of The Wash is a mix of wet pasture and reedbeds adjacent to one of the largest areas of saltmarsh in Britain. I had gone there in the hope of seeing any one of the 4 rarities currently on offer there - European Turtle Dove, Wood Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs and Glossy Ibis - any one of which would have boosted my UK list, but dipped on all four! What I did have was a good day for flight shots.

First though another of those half-way house plumaged birds, a male Ruff that still has some of the chocolate belly and flank feathers of his breeding plumage.

It is also the time of year for juveniles, so here are some juveniles in flight.

juvenile Common Starling

juvenile Great Cormorant

juvenile Barn Swallow

The first migrating geese are arriving and I found one small skein of Brant Geese

Several small LBJs were rising up from the grass of the saltmarsh, starting their calls as they left the ground, continuing as they soared and stopping as they plummetted back into the grass. I was unable to see any of these on the ground as they disappeared immediately. Then 2 birds flew in and settled down and I managed some very long range shots of Skylark.

I was not convinced that this was what I was seeing calling in the air, so persevered and eventually got an even more distant shot of one that did not disappear on landing. Not too convincing but I believe this is a Meadow Pipit, based on bill shape and heavily streaked flanks.

This is the same bird in the air...

...and this of another bird undoubtedly of the same species

Most numerous bird of the day was by far and away the Black-tailed Godwit in a mix of breeding and transitional plumages. One group numbered somewhere between 200-300 and was mixed with a few Bar-tailed Godwit (try separating those at x40 through a spotting scope :biting:), and both Common and Spotted Redshank, with small groups continually arriving to swell the numbers.

The odd bird though was much closer and I managed my best shots of the day with this male Black-tailed Godwit in almost full breeding plumage. There is the beginnings of a moult on the back feathers.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #86726 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire
Stunning shots and an awesome trip report Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1:1kr428p1]now Free[/url:1kr428p1]

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #86727 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire
Great stuff Neil!!