Orange River Francolin

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #1589 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Orange River Francolin
Call of Orange River Francolin captured in August 2002 on a Sony video camera near Riebeeckstad north of Welkom.

[url:24vauart]http://www.savefile.com/files/7354611[/url:24vauart]

Neil Gray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #1596 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Neil,

Good to hear someone else is doing some recording!

Gordon

• Stefan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #1611 by Stefan
Stefan replied the topic:
Neil,

I was interested to see (hear!) that you also use a video camera to capture sounds. Unlike Doug, my interest is not to record individual species but rather to record ambient sound so that I can enjoy that Ndumo dawn chorus and likes again and again. I first started using my PDA for this and did get some acceptable results which was good enough to edit and loop and even record to CD. However, the PDA mic is extremely sensitive to the slightest wind movement and having to hold the PDA in hand for most recordings doesn't help either. Apart from that the recording quality must be set at the very highest level and the captured files require lots of storage space and therefore expensive SD cards.

I recently stayed at Khaya Guest Lodge next to Roodewal and made several recordings with the PDA in that time. Most were not good enough to use. I also shot some video with a new Sony Digital Video camera and later when editing the video realised that the captured audio was far superior to the PDA recordings with much less wind noise! Listening to your recordings made from video and the quality thereof has sold me on the idea to use my camcorder in future for those recordings. Thanks!

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #1618 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Stefan,

I found that the biggest intrusive noise with the videocam is the camera's own "motor" noise. This I overcome by using a "cheap and nasty" hand-held mike plugged into the external mike jack on the camera.

Holding this at arm's length away from the camera and "pointing" it at the bird I am trying to record gives much better results.

Neil Gray

• Stefan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #1619 by Stefan
Stefan replied the topic:
Neil,

That's a pretty nifty idea. I'll do some audio ripping from recent tapes tonight and see how much of the motor noise I get when you amplify the sound. Just listening to the audio at normal levels it seems extremely quiet when compared to older VHS camcorders I used before. But even if the motor is very quiet it would be great to have the mike away from the camera to eliminate casing creaks and button squeeks as well.

• Peregrinedive
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #1660 by Peregrinedive
Peregrinedive replied the topic:
Try using an old sock over your external mike, that can keep some of the wind noise out... :-)