Recordability index

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #65306 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Recordability index
Hi all.

Although not a common past time, there certainly are enough of us recording bird calls.

I want to start building a venue Recordability index. This would basically give you and idea of how easy or difficult to record bird calls at a given venue.

There is nothing worse that driving 500km to a venue seen in a guide or on a website specifically to record calls and although the birding is top notch, there is traffic or some other noise source making it all but impossible to get any usable recordings.

I am going to start doing this for venues I have visited but if any of you sound recorders want to contribute by giving a score for venues where you record that would be great.

Here is the suggestion.
Give a score and a reason.
1 would be like trying to record Rock Dove calls in the Joburg CBD during rush hour and 10 would be perfect conditions at a venue that never has any noise or wind.

Examples...
Marievale might be about a 4. Recording can be good but due to mine machinery it's a but difficult and the large leaves on the reeds causes huge noise which ruins most recordings.

Most west coast venue would scour low due to frequent occurrence of strong wind levels.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the index?

Cheers.
Doug.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-26.019887,27.983813
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.