Xeno-Canto

• Dave Shedman
  • Dave Shedman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #13123 by Dave Shedman
Dave Shedman created the topic: Xeno-Canto
Having read about this Xeno-Canto website in Birds & Birding (current issue Oct / Nov 2009) I thought I would have a look and see if it's any good. I have to admit that I found it a little confusing at first but when I got the hang of it I found it very useful, though limited for African birds. For those who haven't checked it out, it's an online database of bird call recordings that are free to download. If you have recordings of your own you can upload them, as long as you don't mind giving them away for free. As I don't currently have access to my Roberts Multimedia (thanks to their company policy of not allowing more than one telephonic de-registering in a 30 day period), if I need to hear a bird call, I can look it up on Xeno-Canto and download it if necessary. As I said, it doesn't seem to have a particularly comprehensive list of Africa species - I failed to find a recording of Yellow Fronted Tinkerbird, for instance - but for the species it does have it's an ideal tool for comparing a bird call you heard with what you think it might be. Anybody else tried it out yet? For those that haven't but want to, here's the link:

<!-- w --> www.xeno-canto.org/africa <!-- w -->

Ô¿Ô

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #13125 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Xeno-Canto
Very nice site. Good that they have the calls from all over the world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.