A day full of strange one's

• Robyn
  • Robyn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6906 by Robyn
Robyn created the topic: A day full of strange one's
A friend and myself did a CAR count route this morning close to Ventersburg in the Free State and apart from counting all the Northern Black Korhaans (plenty of them), we stopped to look at all the other wonderful bird life as usual. We found a few weird ones. Firstly there was an Albino Longclaw, pure white body and head with a very very bright yellow front, right from the base of the bill to the tail with no black bib marking. It was with a mate which was a rather washed out version of the real thing but also with a yellow throat, not orange, black bib and bright yellow chest and vent. According to my book, yellow-throated longclaws do not belong in this area. We also saw plenty of "normal" Cape Longclaws with their gorgeous orange throats. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Then a little further on the route, we found what I assume was a juvenile Lilac Breasted Roller. It had very very light colouring. It was very accommodating, sitting on the fence next to the road, catching gogga's and allowing us to get quite close. It is also, according to my book, out of range.
I was very excited to see my first common Quail and first Clapper Lark. We had a great time watching the fascinating display of this bird.
We saw plenty of swallow and swifts but one had us guessing and we still don't know what it is. It looked like a Barn Swallow, but had the following:
1. Rufus rump and blue back
2. completely white under body from under bill to end of tail except for a black bar around it's throat.
3. Rufus cap
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
For those who want to know, there were stacks of Rock and Lesser Kestrels on the route, one on each and every telephone pole, sometimes 3 together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6913 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Robyn,

The swallow could be a SA Cliff Swallow or possibly an oddly marked Barn Swallow?

The Rollers range can extend down as far as Bloemfontein. Not too sure how much further Ventersburg is from there? Another possibility is a European Roller?

The Longclaw sounds quite odd. I had always thought an albino bird would be almost completely white, so the yellow extending all the way sounds wrong. I wonder if there are other longclaw's from further north? The second longclaw sounds fine. The Cape Longclaw juv/imm can have a very yellow throat. The Yellow Throated would have yellow edging to the wing feathers.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions?

Cheers,
Gordon

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6917 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Robyn/Gordon,

What about a feintly streaked Greater Striped Swallow?

As for the Roller, I have seen both Lilac-breasted and European Roller on the R713 Schuttesdraai-Kroonstad road, about 50km NW from Ventersburg as the roller flies - only one of each mind you over nearly 10 years of travelling that road, so either is not exactly common.

Neil

• Robyn
  • Robyn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #6919 by Robyn
Robyn replied the topic:
I received the pics we took from my friend so have included them but they of course are not great, in fact they are shocking, sorry. We are all saving for those wonderful cameras you guys use. None-the-less, perhaps you can see the pure white back of longclaw and the baby roller.