Take nothing for granted

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 weeks ago #6162 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Take nothing for granted
Having spent 5 months in a trailer last year under a large camelthorn tree in the Hotazel area, I didn't give the Red-billed Buffalo Weaver colony in the tree a second thought. They were part of the ambience.

Last week I submitted two SABAP2 pentad lists from recent short trips to the same area - 2722BB (pentad 2710_2250) and received an Out of Range form to fill in and justify my sighting for the weavers, which are in full nest extending mode right now. Seems the weavers are over 100km out of range!!!! Just goes to show, don't take anything for granted. They are the 3rd species I picked up there that are out of range, the other two being Green Woodhoopoe and Greater Honeyguide. I photographed all three fortunately.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 weeks ago #6163 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
That is exactly why I find the atlas project so rewarding. You learn something new every time you go atlasing.

• André
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 weeks ago #6165 by André
André replied the topic:
Neil,

Two years ago when I stayed in the Hotazel area I also saw Red-billed Buffalo-weaver. One of the people in the N. Cape also expressed surprise about their occurrence, but of course this is hardly a species you can ID incorrectly, especially when there are several of them. There were also a few other out-of-range records at the time although can't quite remember what they were. SABAP2 will bring out these changes!

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #6399 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Just an update to my original posting.

I have now submitted 4 lists for this pentad. One each for September, October, November and December.

I now have a whopping 11 Out of Range species, some 10% of the 119 species I have recorded for the pentad -

Red-billed Buffalo-Weaver
Greater Honeyguide
Green Woodhoopoe
Black Cuckoo
Jacobin Cuckoo
African Cuckoo
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Common Swift
African Scops-Owl
Bennett's Woodpecker
Shikra

All of these are no doubt relatively commonly seen in these parts - but because sightings have never been officially recorded false impressions on distribution have been created.

This highlights even more the value of SABAP2 - despite the detractors on SABirdnet!

Regards,

Neil Gray

• niall
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #6403 by niall
niall replied the topic:
Hi Niel - I see your lone little pentad on the coverage map! Atlassing adds a whole new angle to birding, and it is quite incredible what you can see in an area you never thought you would!

I've been submitting records both to SABAP2 and Natural World (<!-- w --> www.natworld.org <!-- w -->). They will both become extremely useful tools in the future. Data on Natworld is already becoming a useful tool in seeing what , where and when has been seen in an area.

Another useful site is the ADU site which has results from the first atlas project, as well as an enormous amount of data - per species, per QDGC, in specific areas etc. Web: http://www.birds.sanbi.org/

• nkgray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #6404 by nkgray
nkgray replied the topic:
Yes, Niall,

It is a "lone little pentad". Feels like an oasis in the desert when I am down there. Perhaps thats why birds are attracted to the area.

Keep up your atlassing work. I can already see the benefits of my small contribution, so the more birders that get involved the better. Don't think that even the contribution of one pentad is not worth the effort, especially if it is out "in the sticks" like mine.

Neil