Wind Farms and Birds

• Margaret
  • Margaret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Kingfisher
More
6 years 6 months ago #49552 by Margaret
Margaret created the topic: Wind Farms and Birds
I am employed by the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) and one of our new mandates relate to green energy. I am also involved in rural development and rural economic development. Within this context the DBSA is increasingly expected to participate in the planning and discourse related to wind energy and wind farms.

It is clear that the environmental debate related to the said practice is uncoordinated and incomplete (positions, requirements, standards, etc). The DBSA will probably try to facilitate the integration of the debate and stakeholders / role players. This will be initiated at a project level in the Western Cape and might be expanded to a national level.

If anybody has information, knowledge, opinions, and energy that you would like to invest / share in this regard you are welcome to contact me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:michaelt@dbsa.org]michaelt@dbsa.org[/url]<!-- e -->, or 082 4927 443. I think it is imperative that birders participate in this "search for appropriate answers".

I have forwarded all the article that was posted on SBF in this regard to my colleagues.

Regards
Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #49969 by mossie
mossie replied the topic: Re: Wind Farms and Birds
Hi Michael

I am good friends with a Finnish guy who did all the bird impact work for some of the the wind farms in Finland. If you like, I can help you get in contact with him. He is a mine of information, regarding the type considerations you need to put in place to reduce the bird mortality from the turbines.

Regards,

Mossie

• Margaret
  • Margaret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Kingfisher
More
6 years 6 months ago #50064 by Margaret
Margaret replied the topic: Re: Wind Farms and Birds
Thanks Mossie. You must please forward his details to me and I will make contact with him even if no study takes place. Susch resources are scarce and it will be great to communicate to him. (Every foreigner and his dog currently wants to construct wind farms, and it would be in SA's interest to speak to knowledgable people)

Regards

Michael

More
6 years 6 months ago #50070 by John Young
John Young replied the topic: Re: Wind Farms and Birds
Hey Michael - I take it the dogs are interested 'cos there are fewer trees available.....

Dave