Global Warming and Wattled Starlings

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 week ago #6257 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Global Warming and Wattled Starlings
Hi all.

I decided to do something more material about my contribution to help reduce my carbon footprint. I decided that I have a bicycle that I never use and I only live 12 Km from work. For that reason I have decided I will cycle to work in future. That way I will reduce my carbon footprint with regards travel by up to 1000 Km per month. That way I have more than off set the millage I do birding and can bird with a clearer conscience.

So what has this got to do with Wattled Starlings? I have always noticed when I rode before that you hear and see a lot more on a bike than in a car. I decided to do a trial run today to time how long it would take me to get to the office so I know what time to leave home. IN the process I saw my first Wattled Starling for the Randburg/Blairgowrie area. Two birds in an Acacia tree in a garden in Standard drive, Blairgowrie.

All in all my efforts to reduce global warming:
1) Will save me up to R600 per month (in fact if you take the AA rate fr a Tazz's maintenance costs I will save up to R2460 per month
2) will make me fitter fitter and hopefully thus healthier in the process
3) Has already resulted in at least one very interesting bird sighting.

Here's to bicycles. if I pass you on the pavement on my way to work while you are stuck in the traffic I will be sure to wave.

Cheers,
Doug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.