First attempts

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 3 weeks ago #6166 by Doug
Doug created the topic: First attempts
Hi all.

I will keep you all updated as to any information I find but if you can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

With our cottage in Paul Roux, I want to make it as fully independent as possible and reduce the carbon footprint to almost nothing.

I have already investigated solar systems to completely seperate the house from the national grid so that it generates it iwn electricity entirely without any need for a connection to Eskom's network.

In addition I want to upgrade the conservancy tank for the sewerage system to an environmentally friendly septic tank that releases clean water into the surrounding soil so that the truck that goes around the twon does not have to pump out our tank.

To fascilitate this I am looking at a gas hob and oven (no electricity needed there), gas hot water system and then energy saver globes and an energy efficient fridge powered off a 600w solar powered battery system.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Any advice will be helpful.

Cheers,
Doug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 weeks ago #6187 by mossie
mossie replied the topic:
A few thoughts on that:

If I was a total idealist, I’d say: don’t bath, braai every day, and eat with your fingers.

More realistically:

For hot water, first choice is solar, second an electric geyser. Gas water heaters are not very efficient, and only useful where there is no/unreliable electricity.

Gas is more efficient, and fun to cook with as a stove, but less so as an oven. A small convection/microwave combination is very handy, and more efficient and space saving than a large oven. Often it is a case of not what we use, but how we use it!

For heating, concentrate on insulation, and go for gas heaters, over electric, or an open fire place.

I would also look into things like slow cookers (insulated pot containers) and those reflective pannels that can boil water on a sunny day!

Mossie

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 2 weeks ago #6188 by Doug
Doug replied the topic:
Thanks Mossie.

I will have to do a lot of investigation before removing the house from the national grid.

Cheers,
Doug