which is the best phone for a birder

• billbrooks
  • billbrooks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shrike
More
2 years 11 months ago #87113 by billbrooks
billbrooks created the topic: which is the best phone for a birder
I am looking for a good phone for a birder/photographer, can someone tell me which one works best:

#I want to take reasonable pictures of any sighting if I don't have my SLR on me.
#I would like to be able to make good audio recordings of any unidentified bird that I can hear.
#It needs to be able to download any bird book apps (by the way, which one's the best)
#I need to have internet access (shouldn't be too hard)
#I would love it to be touch-screen.
#It shouldn't cost more than R4000

please reply before 18th December when I am going on holiday to cape town and Nieu Bethesda (Karoo) where I will be birding!
Also can Gordon give me any tips on shooting the stars in an unpolluted area like the Karoo!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 11 months ago #87114 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: which is the best phone for a birder
You'll have to go to one of the countless phone stores to see what they have to offer. Generally they will all try and lock you into a contract for the 'cheap' phone otherwise if you pay cash they will up the price. Maybe you could source a phone on the internet for a better price?

As for star photos, you need a steady tripod, higher ISO setting, long exposure times and make sure you set the camera in mirror lockup mode. Generally you cannot expose for too long because the earth is turning so anything longer than a few minutes will cause everything to blur unless you have a tripod that can track the night sky...

You should google star photography and see which settings work best for you. Experiment while you are still at home and see which settings give you the best results...

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Gordon

• billbrooks
  • billbrooks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shrike
More
2 years 11 months ago #87117 by billbrooks
billbrooks replied the topic: Re: which is the best phone for a birder
It's not exactly like I can go to a techno geek and ask if a piet my vrou will hear it's call from 5 miles away from my phone! :D