Perth birding

• Doug
  • Doug's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #7369 by Doug
Doug created the topic: Perth birding
HI there.

My sister is visiting Perth early in April and I was wondering if anyone could advise place in and around the city to go birding?

I would love to hear from both Australian residents and anyone in fact who has visited the city and can advise where to go birding.

Cheers,
Doug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tchagra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #7370 by tchagra
tchagra replied the topic: Perth Birding
Doug,

Unfortunately in my several business trips I have never had the opportunity to do some serious birding. On my last trip I did have a couple of hours one afternoon whilst staying in the city. I hired a bicycle at a place on the north bank of the Swan river close to where the Causeway bridge(see Google Earth or other map) crosses the river and cycled across the river over Heirissa Island and downstream crossing back to the city over the Narrows bridge and then riding back along the north bank. There were a fair number of water and other species around. Just wish I had an ID book at the time.
Kings Park is a lovely Botanical type garden close to the city and I am sure will be worth a visit and you can get cruises up the Swan river which will I am sure also be good at the right time of day.

Not much help I am afraid but hopefully a starting point.

Bruce

• steveclark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #7371 by steveclark
steveclark replied the topic:
G'day Doug

Frank O'Connor's website is a great starting point for Perth birding options:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/

Frank took me birding around Perth a few years ago and he knows his stuff.

A trip to Rottnest would be a must.

Cheers
Steve