Burchell's Coucal

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #1964 by gordon
gordon created the topic: Burchell's Coucal
I have had a bit of frustration trying to get a photo of our resident Burchell's Coucal, he will only show up in the garden in the afternoon around the same time for the last few days, to hunt snails under my bedroom window. The problem with trying to photograph him is that I have the bright afternoon sun shining straight into the lens. So it was either put up with the light or scare the Coucal away by standing up at the window.... :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #1966 by JGB
JGB replied the topic:
Hi Gordon,

Looks like you are in the same winter birding mood that I am in. Bird the garden and neighourhood, anything else is just too cold!

Cheers,
Justin

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #1968 by gordon
gordon replied the topic:
Hi Justin,

You are absolutely correct!

Been lying on my bed fascinated by this Coucal catching the snails, then trying to break open their shells on the patio bricks. Every now and then he will give a "cough" sound. I am not sure if it is an alarm call because he sensed that I am there?

Next weekend should be a little more interesting, Doug and I are off to Wakkerstroom to try and record the cranes calling at dawn. (will have to remember to take my warm jacket along...)

I will try and get some decent photo's of them.

Cheers
Gordon