Marievale on a cold winter morning.

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #1905 by gordon
gordon created the topic: Marievale on a cold winter morning.
Up early on Saturday as any self respecting birder should be, Doug and I travelled down to Marievale Bird Sanctuary to see which birds are brave enough to hang around at the start of winter.

On entering the reserve I took this photo of the temperature gauge, though it is - 3.5 when the photo was taken, the temperature did drop down to -5 at the coldest time of day, just after dawn:

We had a cup of coffee at the Bus Stop Hide to ward off the paltry -5 and attempt to restore circulation in the fingers...

After a while we made our way back toward the entrance gate and popped in to the Dabchick hide to make sure no feathered creatures were stuck to the ice. All the intelligent birds had huddled together with their mates...

It was now time for breakfast, so we made our way to one of the neighbouring fields where we were greeted rather enthusiastically by the locals who came sprinting across their paddock to greet us...

After assuring them that their friend Pegleg the Pig (our bacon) had in fact valiantly given his life for the advancement of science, we left our soft eyed friends to chew cud and made our way to the "new" information centre to have a look round and try to get any remaining waders. After managing to get Ruff, Little Stint and two magnificent Malachite Kingfishers, I thought I would get a photo of the Lodges for the benefit of those who would like to stay in this wonderful reserve.

For those interested in pricing and information:

[img:wk36l39m] i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/audi5e/LodgeInfo.jpg [/img:wk36l39m]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.