Laguna Conchali revisited

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #86546 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Laguna Conchali revisited
Almost two months after my first visit to the RAMSAR site at Laguna Conchali I called in again on my way back to Santiago and managed a lifer, a species that has been causing a bit of a stir too down in the Western Cape of late.

I saw many of the usual suspects but managed some much better photos of a couple of species, like this Austral Negrito male and female -

A common species that is always difficult to photograph is the Chilean Swallow, but this one perched obligingly -

Two species of vulture are common along the central Chilean coast, the ubiquitous Turkey Vulture, here an adult with an immature (duller face and black-tipped beak) .....

... and the less common but still widespread Black Vulture

A surprise on the lagoon was a single White-tufted Grebe

The commonest gull of this part of the coastline is the Kelp Gull, but I had not yet encountered young of this species. Here are an adult in flight and some 1st-year birds -

The boreal waders are on the move heading back north to their summer breeding grounds. Here are four of them. The most common migrant wader along the Chilean coast has to be the (Hudsonian) Whimbrel

The second wader is the Lesser Yellowlegs, seen here with a White-backed Stilt and a Grey Gull

Some of the waders are already starting to show partial breeding plumage, like the third species - Ruddy Turnstone. Some of these birds are still in their winter colours but some are clearly showing the reddish-brown that dominates in their summer breeding plumage.

And now for the fourth wader - that lifer - and definitely migrating back north as it is usually only seen as a passage migrant on this part of the coast. The two photos are long range and not great shots, but hopefully convincing. The long straight two-coloured bill, pale eyebrow and the chestnut coloured belly of the breeding plumage starting to develop all say Hudsonian Godwit.

Here it is (a single bird) with a Red-fronted Coot ....

.... and with the Red-fronted Coot, a Yellow-billed Pintail and a pair of Red Shoveler

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #86547 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Laguna Conchali revisited
Lovely shots Neil!

Well done on your lifer!!

Cheers,
Gordon

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #86553 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Laguna Conchali revisited
Really nice shots Neil.

• NickyO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #86583 by NickyO
NickyO replied the topic: Re: Laguna Conchali revisited
Great trip report Neil!

Always enjoy reading about your adventures all over the world. Thanks for sharing them with us!