First Chilean birds of 2014

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #86426 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: First Chilean birds of 2014
I got my 2014 birding off to a good start this morning with a short trip up into the Andes east of Santiago. Just to put "short trip" into perspective I covered half the distance from Benoni to Marievale and went up 2,000m, negotiating over 40 hairpin bends in the process! Two lifers in Lesser Horned Owl and Cordilleran Canastero, one photographed and one not, two birds seen before but photographed for the first time, and one species seen before in Peru but it was a first for Chile - so all in all a good start to the year.

First the photographed lifer and one of the first birds seen too, a Lesser (or Magellanic) Horned Owl, a recent split from the Greater Horned Owl and one of the South American members of the eagle-owl genus Bubo.

At the same spot and photographed for the first time a Chilean Elaenia, an endemic Chilean flycatcher recently created by a split from the White-crested Elaenia.

The other species photographed for the first time was the Black-chinned Siskin, this one a male

Foraging in the same area were Grey-headed Sierra Finch, male and female

a male Rufous-tailed Plantcutter

and a Rufous-banded Miner, which having found this worm was rather unsure how to tackle it.

I went to a spot usually frequented by Andean Condor and picked up Black-winged Ground Dove, seen before only in Peru

and unfortunately no condors, but another photographer had tied a chicken leg to a rock to see what he might attract and we got some amazing shots of an adult Mountain Caracara that would tear off small pieces of meat, fly off maybe to feed a young one, then return and keep repeating the process.

The view from this area is quite spectacular. Here is a shot of Santiago with my 300mm lens, taken from 28km away (in plan) and from 1,800m higher up. The black spot on the image marks the apartment block where I am living right now.

On the way down the hairpins I encountered a very tame South American Red Fox at one of the viewpoints.

All the best with your birding in 2014. With all those rarities around SA at the moment I wish I was there!

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #86427 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: First Chilean birds of 2014
Hi Neil,

Awesome photo's!

Happy New Year to you and everyone else on the forum from this side!!

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.