Galapagos Islands - more waders and other waterbirds

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 11 months ago #86387 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Galapagos Islands - more waders and other waterbirds
I was unable to photograph some of the waders that I saw, such as the migratory Lesser Yellowlegs and I still have ID issues over another migrant, so to finish with the waders here are, in non-breeding plumage -

the common migrant Least Sandpiper

and the uncommon migrant Western Sandpiper

There is very little in the way of freshwater ponds or lakes in the Galapagos Islands, so consequently the waterbirds are restricted to mainly brackish lagoons and very small wetland areas, or like the herons will be found almost anywhere along the coast.

The western hemisphere equivalent of the Common Moorhen and until recently considered to be conspecific (I follow the the IOC list and their lumping/splitting) is the Common Gallinule - doesn't look any different does it?

The ducks are represented by the resident and endemic sub-species galapagensis of the White-cheeked Pintail

There are 6 herons/egrets normally resident in the Galapagos. In addition to the less common Western Cattle and Great Egrets and the Striated (Green-backed) Heron with which you are all familiar there are -

Lava Heron - thought for a long time to be a sub-species of the Striated Heron

Endemic sub-species cognata of the Great Blue Heron

Yellow-crowned Night Heron - adult, immature and juvenile

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.