Argentina/Brazil - Iguassu-Ibera part 9; thrushes-wrens-etc.

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #86249 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Argentina/Brazil - Iguassu-Ibera part 9; thrushes-wrens-etc.
Part 9 is devoted to thrushes, mockingbirds, wrens and a couple of others.

Both Iguassu and Ibera have three common thrushes, and it is not unusual to see two of these together (in fact when I first saw two together in a garden in Mendoza last year I wondered if I were looking at male-female or adult-juvenile of the same species!)

Creamy-bellied Thrush [Ibera]

Rufous-bellied Thrush [Iguassu]

Pale-breasted Thrush [Iguassu]

As the trains with open carriages return to the station at the entrance of Iguassu National Park the cowbirds and mockingbirds are waiting to dash into the emptying carriages and pick up scraps before they fill again with next load of tourists heading to the Falls.

Chalk-browed Mockingbird [Iguassu]

White-banded Mockingbird [Ibera]

I imagine most of you think of wrens as dainty little birds and great songsters. This might be true of the House Wren, but at 20cm the Thrush-like Wren is South America's largest wren and just behind the Giant Wren in a claim to be the world's biggest wren.

House Wren [Iguassu]

Thrush-like Wren [Iguassu]

Previously placed in the same Family as the wrens the Donacobius is now the sole member of its own family.

Black-capped Donacobius [Iguassu]

Lastly another family of birds that now fall in a different Order entirely - the becards.

Chestnut-crowned Becard [Iguassu] - this is one of the few examples of the "tiny" forest dwellers of Iguassu where there is no dramatic sexual dimorphism and male and female look exactly the same.

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.