Chile - La Campana National Park

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86069 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Chile - La Campana National Park
I did the 115km drive NW from Santiago today, to La Campana National Park. It lies in the Coastal Range of Chile, not the main Andes, and is home among other things to one of the largest remaining areas of Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm. This tree grows to over 25m tall and many of the La Campana trees are believed to be several hundred years old. At the southern edge of its distribution at 35deg S (La Campana is 33 S) it is the world's most southern palm trees.

Like most places in Chile the bird list is not extensive, but there is the potential there for several species that I might not see elsewhere. None of them were seen today as it was more of a reconnaissance trip to check out the route, times, etc. There is an extensive network of hiking trails that will take a half dozen visits to cover properly. What it lacks in bird species it makes up for with the spectacular scenery as the following few shots show.

I had a close encounter with a South American Red Fox that walked across the trail too close for my 600mm.

On the birding side, no lifers, but probably my best shots yet of the next 2 species

Fire-eyed Diucon

male Long-tailed Meadowlark

I do not tire of photographing Chile's commonest hummingbird, they really are a fascinating family of birds.

"fluffed up" male Green-backed Firecrown

Finally only my second sighting of a single individual of this species, but the lens decided to focus on the rock and not the bird - the only shot I had time for.

Scale-throated Earthcreeper

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #86070 by docandy
docandy replied the topic: Re: Chile - La Campana National Park
Thanks Neil! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.