Marievale - my final South African birding trip

• nkgray
  • nkgray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #85805 by nkgray
nkgray created the topic: Marievale - my final South African birding trip
I went last Sunday for a final trip to Marievale and what could prove to be my last birding in South Africa - many thanks to Gordon and Sarah for joining me there. I was not disappointed even though the reed growth and encroachment is quite alarming.

I managed to tick my first ever African Fish Eagle at Marievale in 15 years of going there, an immature bird later seen flying low over the distant reeds giving me momentary thoughts of Western Marsh-Harrier!

It was an initially overcast day, even slightly foggy in places, and the Marsh Owl population was very active. At least 4 birds were seen at the same time, and I managed to get my first ever flight shots of these birds.

So it does not matter how many times you have been to a particular birding venue there is always something new (or better) to see or photograph, which is what makes me so passionate about birding.

A few of the morning's photos below.

African Snipe

Goliath Heron

immature African Fish Eagle

Marsh Owl

...and just to round off the day, for me anyway the rather unusual spectacle of a Yellow Mongoose eating a crab!

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #85806 by John Young
John Young replied the topic: Re: Marievale - my final South African birding trip
Great photos as to be expected from you Neil - thanks for sharing. Almost looks like the AFE is a keen weight lifter - doing leg presses.

You can never say it's your last, because we don't know what tomorrow brings. But should you not make it back to Marievale, or RSA for that matter, glad to read that your recent outing was rewarding.

Bon voyage,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.