Marievale

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #85796 by gordon
gordon created the topic: Marievale
Hi All,

Sarah and I met up with Neil Gray for a bit of birding on Sunday morning.

The day started off with sightings of several waders species including several hundred Ruff, two Common Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpipers and a Little Stint.

Then after meeting Neil at the Picnic site we continued on to the Old Bridge part of the reserve where there were plenty of Marsh Owls flying around in the misty conditions:

At the Old Bridge were the usual assortment of Reed Cormorants:

Then on returning after seeing a Mongoose eating a crab near the mine dump we picked up a Malachite Kingfisher by the hide at the Old Bridge and then further along the return road came across this Windowbird:

All in all Marievale is quite productive at the moment, with African Rails out in the open, plenty of waders around with exposed mud flats, a sub adult African Fish Eagle, plenty of Amur Falcons and many more species!

Definitely well worth a trip out there!!

Our day finished off with a nice cooked breakfast for Neil to fortify him for his trips across South America!

Cheers,
Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #85798 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Marievale
Nice pics as always!!

• gordon
  • gordon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #85800 by gordon
gordon replied the topic: Re: Marievale
Hi Doug,

Thanks though they were actually all badly underexposed and needed a lot of PS work... I suspect my ancient Pentax K10D is finally breathing its last!!

She has done very well having taken many thousands of images... and populated several books and articles....

Thinking seriously about getting that new Pentax K5IIs without the AA filter... but need to think about it and budget before I decide.

Cheers,
Gordon

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #85801 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Marievale
I don't have any picture of a Common Ringed Plover so you beat me there!!