Lovebirds

• Margaret
  • Margaret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Kingfisher
More
4 years 9 months ago #84774 by Margaret
Margaret created the topic: Lovebirds
I followed up on a post last year about Lovebirds in Gauteng. I travelled to the Fireplace Shop near the lifestyle garden shop in Randridge Park and found the Rosy-faced Lovebirds in the company of other species. I post this for interest sake and wonder if bird breeders will responsible for the "acceptance" of more tickable species in SA?

Personally I would appreciate some guidance by the leaders in our hobby of birding. Although I went to look for the birds, I see no use in ticking a bird which is accepted in the "leadership-circles" as non-tickable. Thanks. Michael
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• firephish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #84827 by firephish
firephish replied the topic: Re: Lovebirds
can't help you weather to tick or not, but there has also been a small colony in Sunnighill (around PwC) for a number of years now.

• Margaret
  • Kingfisher
More
4 years 9 months ago #84872 by Margaret
Margaret replied the topic: Re: Lovebirds
Thanks, I wonder whether there is any literature, guidelines, or "plicy" available on the subject? Does Birdlife SA or the birding clubs guide birders in this regard? Regards

• arty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #84875 by arty
arty replied the topic: Re: Lovebirds
Hi Michael,
the following birds are included in roberts 7 both book and multimedia.
rose-ringed parakeet,
rosy-faced love bird.
both species are exotic species that have escaped from homes or bird parks and have established themselves as breeding colonies in gauteng.they are also included on there lists.i have seen both species and as they are listed in roberts i have ticked them.

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #84876 by docandy
docandy replied the topic: Re: Lovebirds
Always a very debatable and controversial subject! As far as I know for a feral bird to make the 'official' southern African or South African list it has to have bred successfully in the wild for a few generations such as Mallards and Common Mynas have. The SABAP2 however is keeping careful tabs on feral breeding populations and escapees so these records if even not an 'official' tick can be submitted to the Atlas Project as a reported ' incidental sighting'.
I live in the area so this population has been monitored by me since Doug told me about it. The colony is regularly reported to SABAP2 by me but the more records the better from a statistics point of view.
The dominant species in the colony is the Yellow collared Lovebird which is not tickable. You have photographs of an adult and a juvenile so there is already clear evidence of breeding in the wild. The Rosy-cheeked Lovebird is present in much smaller numbers. It is on the official list. Whether you tick this or not is up to you. Escapees can count as 'ticks' but is it correct when the bird ticked is obviously not a truly wild bird? If this is true then surely we must all purge our lists of Rose-ringed Parakeets , Common Mynas , House Crows , House Sparrows , Mallards etc. :D
Interestingly in many other African cities like Nairobi there are large populations of 'feral' lovebirds often of mixed parentage. I wonder what other countries do about listing the bird and how do you then tick a hybrid? The Bird Atlas Project makes provision for this with hybrid Mallards and mixed Karoo/Kurrichane Thrushes but not yet for Lovebirds.

• Margaret
  • Kingfisher
More
4 years 9 months ago #84883 by Margaret
Margaret replied the topic: Re: Lovebirds
Thanks Guys, I guess one would have to make a decision about the principles that guide you e.g. inclusion in Roberts, and then keep to it. For me that will be good enough as I do not approach ticking as a competition. The pleasure is in finding birds and getting a reasonably good picture of them. Regards

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #84922 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: Re: Lovebirds
Glad you got to see them