African Grass Owl

More
5 years 1 month ago #78664 by dmorrey
dmorrey created the topic: African Grass Owl
Hi,

I found myself in Randfontein the weekend visiting my parents. I had to include birding in the agenda, and decided to go to De Pan (somewhere between Randfontein and Carltonville, where the R41 and R500 meet). This was the site where an African Skimmer was spotted and a Terek Sandpiper, for a brief moment, some time ago.
On my way to De Pan, via the R41 (10 km from the pan) on Saterday morning, I stopped for a brief moment to take a photo of a Long-tailed Widowbird perched on a fench-pole. As the bird centered itself in my viewfinder, I saw something big flying in the background. I refocused the lense and saw an owl flying low over the uncultivated grassland. Immediately I reached for my binos suspecting a Marsh Owl. As soon as the bino's eyepiece synced with my eyes, I knew this is not a Marsh Owl, but a AFRICAN GRASS OWL....(that bubbly, untamed great feeling took immediately over). Tick...lifer. As I lowered my binos to make space for my camera, I saw 3 more owls flying very low over the grass and harrassing each other every now and then. Click click click....a few photos, assuming I saw 4 African Grass Owls.
The following Sunday morning I took my brother in-law, Henk Nel, and my father to the same spot. After a bit of patience, Henk spotted the grass Owl flying directly towards us. Tick and tick...lifer for both of them as well.
Today after looking closer to the photos, I reallized that there where only two grass owls and the other two being Marsh Owls.

Good birdings,

Josef van Wyngaard
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #78667 by Doug
Doug replied the topic: African Grass Owl
Nice sighting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• mossie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #78755 by mossie
mossie replied the topic: Re: African Grass Owl
Excellent sighting.

I have only been lucky enought to see one once!

• docandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #78804 by docandy
docandy replied the topic: Re: African Grass Owl
Stunning! :D Very unusual sighting in daylight and usually strictly nocturnal.

• wildtuinman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #78815 by wildtuinman
wildtuinman replied the topic: Re: African Grass Owl
Great sighting, Josef! Well done on the lifer. :D